So what is urban hiking and is this even a thing? These are 5 things you need to know!
1. The inspiration came from realizing that Steph and I will walk long distances up mountains with 40 lb bags, and not thinking anything of it. Yet on a casual weekend a walk of more than 3km seems like a cruel and unusual task.
2. A shift in perspective is needed to change a seemingly mundane task of walking through town into an adventure. It was actually quite refreshing to see the city in the same way we look at a typical hike.
3. Embracing the winter is a key value Steph and I both hold. Making the most of cold weather can turn a long, dreary winter into a joy.
4. Exploring the city intentionally brought us to places we never even new existed. We learned more about Saskatoon and got to see some new parks and neighbourhoods along the way.
5. It actually is a thing! I got curious partway along the hike, googled it, and found an interesting community.
So we started off! Our plan was to follow as many parks as we could and end up at a new park area called the Northeast Swale (full disclosure I have no idea what a swale is).
We had a ton of fun together as tourists in our own city and discovering new parts of town. Due to a gross miscalculation, we ended up hiking for 24km over 6 hours! We really appreciated the urban aspect of the hike at that point and stopped in at the Yard and Flagon pub to celebrate!